06 April 2009

My first pattern!

Ok, so not technically, but it will be the first one I'm sharing on my blog. I made this little lady for a friend who had to undergo an emergency hysterectomy. She wanted me to make her something that would make her laugh & she has an amazing sense of humor. So I decided to make her a happy uterus to replace the very unhappy one she was losing. I called her Womb-y, but she renamed her. Introducing Ursula Uterus!



I made her out of some leftover baby yarn and a hook one size smaller than what is called for on the yarn label. She also has pipe cleaners in her Fallopian tubes to make them poseable. Once my friend saw her, she immediately asked me to make Ursula some friends, so I whipped up this little entourage to remind her of all the things she no longer needs to worry about: Sally Sanitary-Napkin, Tammy Tampon & Sid the Sperm.



I am happy to report, my friend loved them & they now live on her desk at work. I love the expression on Ursula's face; I think it makes her look like she has a secret. So now, on to the pattern. If you have any comments or corrections, just let me know & I'll fix them! :)


What you will need:

pink yarn (I used Bernat Softee Baby)
small amount of white yarn of the same weight (Again, I used Bernat SB)
small amount of black yarn for features
hook 1 size smaller than called for on the label (I used an F)
stitch marker
2 pink pipe cleaners
yarn needle
fiberfill


Abbreviations:

BO = Bind off
Ch = Chain
Ea = Each
Sc = Single crochet
St = Stitch
Sctog = Single crochet together, used as a decrease. You may use an invisible decrease if you prefer



Happy Uterus Pattern

This project is worked in the round throughout.

Using pink yarn, ch 2
6sc in first stitch (6 st)
(2sc in ea st) (12 st)
1sc in ea st around, using front loop only (12 st)
Work even for 1/2- 3/4" (mine was 3/4" to use as a reference)
(1sc, 2sc in same st) around (18 st)
Work even for 1 row
(1sc, 2sc in same st) around (27 st)
(2sc, 2sc in same st) around (36 st)
Work even for 1 row
(3sc, 2sc in same st) around (45 st)
Work even for 9 rows
(4sc, 2sc in same st) around (54 st)
(5sc, 2sc in same st) around (63 st)
Work even for 5 rows
(5sc, 2sctog) around (54 st)
(4sc, 2sctog) around (45 st)
(3sc, 2sctog) around (36 st)
***Stuff with fiberfill before continuing for a firmer finished result***
(2sc, 2sctog) around (27 st)
(1sc, 2sctog) around (18 st)
(2sctog) around (9 st)
***Stuff with fiberfill. Make sure it is as firm as you would like before you continue***
(1sc, 2sctog) around (6 st)
(2sctog) around (2 st)
BO & close hole


**I chose to embroider the features on her once she was stuffed, but if you would prefer you can put on the features before you stuff the main body of the project**



Fallopian Tube Pattern (Make 2)

Using pink yarn, ch 5
Sc in ea st around (5 st)
Work in the round for desired length (Mine are 4 3/4")
Thread pipe cleaner through center- this process can be eased by threaded pipe cleaner through yarn needle & using the yarn needle to help the pipe cleaner through the tube.
Weave in one end of loose yarn.
Use other loose yarn end to sew the tube onto the body of the uterus.
This is the tricky part & can be omitted or done differently if you would prefer: Attatch pink yarn to exposed end. Wrap yarn loosely up & around the stitched to create loops which form the Fimbriae of the Fallopian Tubes.



Ovaries (Make 2)

Using white yarn, ch 2
6sc in first st (6 st)
(2sc in ea st) around (12 st)
Work even for 1 row
(2sctog) around (6 st)
(2sctog) twice
Fasten off, stuff & close hole
Sew ovary in the middle of the loops created at the end of the tubes.


I hope you enjoy Ursula! I'll work on getting the accessories posted soon :)
Happy hooking!
)O( Heather

1 comment:

Manic Witch said...

CAN'T.STOP.LAUGHING!

I am a "Hyster Sister" and would have loved receiving one of those.