16 August 2007

The Evolution of Franken-pumpkin... and other sordid tales

This mild-mannered little guy started out as a test-guage project. I didn't have any autumnal colors on hand, but I was dying to try a new pattern for this fall. And... voila!




The evolution of Franken-pumpkin begins in the workshop of Frau von Yarninator. Once a mild-mannered house-frau, her genius mind became slightly cracked when one of her more recent attempts at knitting a lovely little sock pattern blew up in her face. After that infamous day, she no longer wanted to knit ordinary objects. She became obsessed with creating her own little mini-monster...


Several prototypes later, Frau von Yarninator settled on the graveyard look for her new beau. Taking him to the observation tower of her small cottage home (yes, a tower. It was added on as a "honey-do" project by the late Dr. von Yarninator), she tied him to the metal working table and began to give him shape. From the bolts on the neck (very in this season) to the small stem (for she knew her Franken-pumpkin would never have stem envy), every detail was taken into account. Except...


The FACE. Ah well, not all experiments can be a success. Frau von Yarninator will simply have to pay more attention when stitching on the face of her newest creation next year.


***********************************************************************************

And now, onto a real post. This weekend, I have so much to accomplish, but I just couldn't help starting a new project. It's a small one, though. I wanted to make myself a M.I.L.K. purse. For those of you who are not familiar with the term ( and by the responses of my friends and family, that would be most of you), it refers to M(oney) I(d) L(ipstick) K(eys). And I felt the undeniable need to do some cabling. So, I am working on a small purse w/ braided cables and two simple cables on a background of reverse stockinette. Soon, I want to do an Aran project bag. I know, I know. Finish what you start, then start more. But who among us actually follows that rule? Not I.

But to end the post, a few more FO's. First is Fetching from knitty.com, and a Cowl/Neck-collar I designed as a partner piece. And then, cabled fingerless gloves. I'll post the yarn and needle sizes later... Don't have the reference card on me. And last but not least, some severed fingers to round off some Halloween knitted objects :)






Have a good evening, all! @--^-- Heather

1 comment:

LadyLinoleum said...

Spectacular Frankenpumpkin! Your severed fingers are quite nice too...