24 November 2008

Still no new pictures I'm afraid

But I did submit my application & financial aid paperwork. It was a big step for me to do that all on my own. I became so reliant on the joint efforts that come as being part of a couple... now I'm starting to reinvent myself as a single & am learning to stand on my own two feet. Either once I'm back in school, or once I get a full time job if school falls through, I'll move out on my own & start that adventure.

I had my first performance in over 4 years on Sunday. It was a church choir performance, but any step toward a dream counts. On the 30th I'll have another small performance. I have also been given an open invitation to join a choir affiliated with my old college for the upcoming semester. Normally one would need to audition, but the director told me to "just register & come on out". Which is awesome, cause he's never heard me. He's working off of the word of my old professors & choir mates. It's a cool feeling to be remembered as a good choral voice. Even though I want to branch out & cut my teeth on solo performing, it's always been my passion. For pity's sake, I mean I want to be a choral conductor, of course choir would be my first vocal passion.

My fingers are starting to get back into shape on the piano front as well. Still not great, but working on getting better again. The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome keeps me from getting back to the level I was at before, but I'm becoming passably good once more. Now if only SU would call me & tell me they reaccepted me, and FAFSA could tell me how much aid I'll be getting, I could move on with everything else. I'm going to need to take out extra loans to live on when I go back, so I'd take them out this semester so I wouldn't have to take out extra for living expenses for the next semester. I dunno how that will work, I'll have to get with the loan people to see how much I will qualify for. I just hope financially I'll be able to make it all come together.

On a fun side, I went to a live show on Saturday night fell in love! With a band. The Dreamscapes Project. Kind of a folk rock kinda fusion band. They played a club in Vienna called Jammin' Java. It was an intimate performance that I thoroughly enjoyed. The lead singer/guitarist, Keith Center, is a charismatic & entertaining front man, while the bass & drum kit support the sound of the band nicely. The two musical "oddities" of the band add an interesting element to the overall sound of the group. The percussionist (bongo, cymbal, pretty much everything not the standard kit-already referenced in this post) added a depth of rhythmic structure to the set; while the cellist, Ben Guy (with whom I went to college ages ago), gives a beautiful, sometimes haunting, sometimes melodic, sometimes outright rocking additional point of melodic interest.

I went home & friended them on Facebook. I know, I'm becoming a Facebook junkie. But all is well if that is my only embarrassing vice :) For now, I'm signing off to vacuum.

@-v-- Heather

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope that we see you again soon. I am touched that you enjoyed the show so much, and that you shared it with the world.

Keith
www.thedreamscapesproject.com